Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 1

Last night I didn't sleep well at all.  Between the anticipation and anxiety of today, the effects of the Benadryl that I had to take to combat my allergies, and Mother Nature paying me a visit at 3 am, it was hard to rest.  Needless to say I didn't have much use for my husband's 6:15 am wake up call.

Today was the day to begin my shots. I am beginning with my suppression drug. This drug, Micro-dose Lupron, will keep me from ovulating. The needle is very tiny; technically they are insulin needles and are injected into the fat of my stomach (subcutaneous).  It was probably a good thing I was running right on time; I didn't have much time to dwell on this initial poke.  I gather my materials (alcohol prep pad, needle, and paper towel) and pulled my Micro-dose Lupron from the fridge.  Unseal the bottle of meds, swab, poke, draw up my prescribed 20 unit dose, swab my belly, and in we go. 

All over in a matter of minutes with barely a pinch felt.  Drop the needle into my Sharps container and with a few last minute instructions to my mom about the kids, and I was off to the clinic for the next part of my morning.

Forty minutes later and I was taken back to the ultrasound room to get a baseline reading of my ovaries.  The ultrasonographer was friendly, professional, and gentle.  I really have to commend the staff at my clinic.  They have found the best of the best; not only in skills, but in bedside manner.  I am always put at ease with them. 

Exam complete and the nurse is satisfied that my ovaries are nice and quiet.  Off to the lab for a quick blood draw and I'm headed back home to the rest of my day.

I can't help but be hyper-aware of my body now.  I'm not one to take a lot of medication; an allergy pill and vitamins are really the most I do.  Occasionally I'll take ibuprofen for a headache or migraine but I try not to unless I really have to.  Pumping my body full of hormones and sticking myself with needles is a foreign feeling despite having done this twice before not to mention all the drugs I took before that. 

I feel like I should look different and I wonder if I'll be able to stop myself from over-analyzing every little twinge.  I know I shouldn't or I'll make myself nuts.  I'm already anxious and edgy; why add to it?  I have to make this a part of my day; just something else I do right now, for the next 10 - 11 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment